Monday, February 6, 2012

More on Kuhn

Commenter Edwin Herdman shares this article by a professor of his. It makes the distinction between local and global relativism, which seems reasonable to me. "Relativism" is a slippery term. To the extent that it means "socially constructed or contingent", I think it's reasonable. To the extent that it implies a lack of groundedness or an "anything goes" attitude, it's less defensible. He has thoughts on Kuhn in a new post that references the original Ryan Murphy post.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to all concerned about making a hash of the original post(s).

    I'm asking Tim McGrew about this - but I have to say that when I mentioned Kuhn in class last week, he just shook his head and said "...don't drag him into this." :)

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.